Monday, June 1, 2009

A Promise to Be Ethical in an Era of Immorality

I was reading the New York Times Article entitled "A Promise to Be Ethical in an Era of Immorality" and it got me thinking about doing business in post conflict countries. Is there a way that business leaders doing business in those areas (and the rest of the world for that matter) can take a similar oath to be ethical? If that were possible would the blood diamond conflict in Sierra Leone have happened? Would the war in the Congo currently be taking place? I can go on, but I don't think it's necessary to list all the wars and conflicts that have arisen as a result of unethical business leaders.

How can ethics lessons be taught to business leaders at all levels from the smallest of business owners to business leaders heading multinationals? Can you imagine if there was enforcement all over the world if such "promises" were broken? How can such lessons be adapted in post conflict countries' business environments?

During our orientation as freshmen at Davidson College, we too, had to sign an honor code pledging to uphold the highest standards of integrity. I really believe that Davidson College produces ethical leaders. I'm glad that more schools are adopting such practices.

I hope we can find out the answers/solutions fast because I think that we have the opportunity to prevent future conflicts.


To read the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/30/business/30oath.html?_r=2&em

No comments:

Post a Comment